Thursday, January 26, 2012

Settling In

Starting with Week 2, I learned how spoiled I was to have mom and dad here to help out while Jay was at work.  It was way more exhausting when you were the only one handling all the diaper changes, feedings and all the assorted ups and downs...let alone the lack of sleep,  The good news was though that we managed to figure out pretty quickly how to get along together, old man Liam and I, and we got a pretty good routine of sleep, eating, napping and diapers down.  We even manage to get out of the house a couple of times each week for errands or lunch with friends, all that fun stuff.  Today though we are enjoying a nice quiet day at home, which is nice as well.

Harley continues to adjust to not being an only child anymore.  She will take the initiative now and come sit next to me if Liam and I are in the recliner, and she doesn't seem to mind having him near as much as she used to.  She also continues to be protective somewhat of her baby :)  This was the two of them napping together on the couch here the other weekend



The only downer these past couple of weeks was Liam's lack of weight gain.  At his 2 week appointment he was almost back up to birth weight, tipping the scales at 7 lbs 10 oz.  However, at 3 weeks he was only 7 lbs 15 oz...not enough of a weight gain to be considered normal.  He eats like a champ though, and with increased feedings and increased bottle size, plus going to two formula bottles a day, I'm happy to say that at 4 weeks he weighed in at 8 lbs 6.6 ounces!  Four to seven ounces/week is the typical weight gain for a baby this age so he was not only right on track, he made the two week average of 5 ounces/week fall within that range too.  We're hoping this will continue over the next couple of weeks. 

It is just amazing to watch him change and grow.  In some ways, he still seems like this tiny little snugglebug who will curl up on my chest and sleep, yet in other ways I can see him growing and changing.  His cry has changed a lot over the past few weeks, and he's getting longer too.  He's still my snugglebug though, as he is fast asleep on me as I type.  He continues to be a very, very good baby, and luckily as he has gained some weight, his overnight sleep patterns have lengthened out a bit!  It's amazing how much better I feel when I sleep 3.5-4 hours at a stretch versus 2-2.5!

I'm working to try to get more photos posted, but I have to try something new other than Flickr (since I'm too cheap to pay for more photo storage!).  In the mean time, I'll just do a posting of photos in a separate post from the past couple of weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment